STAY PLUGGED IN
For the latest in news, shows, upcoming events, new works, contests and special offerings… sign up today for John’s Newsletter.

John's Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

1954 Pontiac Star Chief

You're My Star, Chief - 12"x 16" - Oil

Nineteen-fifty-four was the year Pontiac first introduced the Star Chief. It was promoted as their prestige model, a new standard of value...the new, big, beautiful Pontiac for 1954.
The car is a massive 214" long, almost 18 feet. It is a full 11 inches longer than the former top model, the Chieftain. It's also eight inches longer than the 2010 Ford Expedition. It has a gargantuan trunk, large enough for a family of four.
As optional equipment, a proud owner could have power steering and brakes...and for the first time, an in-dash air conditioner.
When I was a youngster, I enthusiastically awaited September when the car manufacturers would release their new models. I built lots of plastic model cars, even modified some and entered them in local hobby shop competitions. I could identify every American manufacturer's automobiles. I kept charts to determine the most popular models.
It's not unusual that I enjoy integrating cars/trucks into my paintings. Occasionally, the car itself becomes the subject.
"You're My Star, Chief" is such a painting. The painting began as a refined monochromatic painting using burnt umber (no white). I selected an isosceles triad as my palette (violet, yellow orange, yellow, yellow green). These were premixed from the three primaries: ultramarine blue, alizarin crimson and cadmium yellow pale. In addition to the triad palette, I added titanium white and ivory black.
The painting sold rather quickly and I was asked to do another just like it. Not wanting to do that, I produced the one seen below.

1954 Pontiac Star Chief - 12"x 16" - Oil







Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home