STAY PLUGGED IN
For the latest in news, shows, upcoming events, new works, contests and special offerings… sign up today for John’s Newsletter.

John's Blog

Sunday, May 8, 2011

What's on the easel? ...cont.


Last week I showed you these two paintings that are currently on my easel. I also revealed the procedure I followed to get them to this point.
The painting on top remains as it is. I have been concentrating on the development of the Italian scene. As you can see, it is beginning to take shape.
Early in my career I did a few paintings using this monochromatic under painting technique, but eventually cast it aside in favor of a more direct method of painting...mixing the correct color and value at the same time.
A few years ago, Warren Chang wrote a wonderful 8-part series for International Artist titled, "Pursuing an artist's life behind the easel". In the series he demonstrated his use of this technique as a precursor to the application of color. I guess I had arrived at a point in my career that I was ready for a change...and also had come to realize the great importance of achieving an organized, clear value structure for each painting.
I am often asked just how often I employ this technique. I would say on most studio paintings this is the way I work, particularly if the painting is very complex. Periodically, I even use this raw umber block-in technique for plein air work. One thing for certain, I believe it has strengthened my paintings. It is also a useful tool in manipulating the compositional design because the values can be adjusted so easily with no concern for color.
Once the values are set in the monochromatic block-in, I try to adhere pretty closely to them as I begin to apply color. The palette selected for this painting is: titanium white, cobalt blue, cadmium red, cadmium yellow pale, and lemon yellow. The colors I considered most important for this painting were the reds, oranges, and greens. By choosing a warm red and two yellows, it allowed for a nice variety of warm hues. Cobalt blue, which I call a neutral blue, mixed with the yellows, oranges and red provide a beautiful variation of greens.
I began applying color to the white building in the center, and proceeded outward from that point. There's a considerable amount of work to be done before this painting is ready to be signed. I have just begun working on the water and have hardly touched the background.
This is the stage of the painting as of today. I will put it aside for now and work on the train piece this week. I desaturated the painting above in photoshop, just to make sure it still reads well. So far, I think I'm still on track.
I'll keep you posted.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home