STAY PLUGGED IN
For the latest in news, shows, upcoming events, new works, contests and special offerings… sign up today for John’s Newsletter.

John's Blog

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Miniature paintings for Christmas


Miniature paintings are often called "small jewels". The appeal of them is that compressed into a very small area is the same emotion as found in a larger work. Small paintings also tend to be  more loosely, and therefore, more expressively painted. Importantly, they are  affordable to just about every budget, and they are still one-of-a-kind creations able to be placed in a greater variety of places in your home.

I am pleased to announce my participation in the 22nd Annual Holiday Miniatures Show, held at the Abend Gallery in Denver, Colorado. I suggest, for all of the above reasons, that you consider one of these beautifully framed pieces as a memorable, lasting gift for you and your family. (Click on the images to enlarge)
Hillside Church - 8"x 10" - Oil

The small country church to me is a symbol of all that made America great. It was the focal point of a community, a continual reminder of our daily dependence upon God...and what's really important...love of God and of our neighbor. It represents stability, humility, faith, hope, charity, love, giving, sharing, peace...all things we all need a lot more of.
Mountain Road - 8"x 10" - Oil

What's around the next bend? That's a question often filled with a sense of anticipation...and it really doesn't matter where that next bend is. However, in Estes Park, CO, almost every bend in the mountains reveals a new vista, a new experience, a new "Wow" moment. It was one such moment when I came upon this scene and marveled at how beautifully God had carpeted this mountain with trees. I was with my artist friend, Jeff Legg, and at a such moments as these we would burst into song..."The hills are alive with the sound of music"...and on down the road we'd travel until around the next bend we would once again sing forth, rejoicing over the magnificence of it all.
MacGregor Ranch - 7.5"x 10.25" - Oil

Colorado is a magnificently beautiful state. Cecy Turner and I spent a day painting at the MacGregor Ranch. This is my painting from that extraordinary experience. If you're from the flat lands, as I am, seeing mountains is awe inspiring. This view of Twin Owls was one of those moments. Painting at high altitude and in bright sunlight can be a challenge. I did not fully realize the extent of the challenge until I brought my paintings home and viewed them in the studio. It was then I realized they were all too dark. So, as with the others, I also had to lighten this one somewhat in order to make it appear more natural.
Remnants of '57 - 8"x 10" - Oil

My Dad was a Ford man...well, at least in the 1950's he was. Only later did he own Chevy's. He liked cars and he took good care of them. I probably got my love for cars from him, and I've never outgrown it. I'm not any good at working on them but I love to drive them and I've always admired their styling. The '57 Ford was quite a departure from my Dad's '56, and I anxiously anticipated each autumn when the manufacturers would release their new models. Back then the cars had character, so much so, one could distinguish the make from a considerable distance. I kept a notebook recording how many of each model I saw. When traveling, my brother, sister, and I often occupied ourselves by being the first to name an oncoming car. The cars back then were built like tanks, none of this plastic stuff. I remember the amazing gas wars of the day. Just down the street from our house, gas was selling for 17.9 cents per gallon. It was quite a different time. So, when I found this old, rusting '57 Ford in Clarksville, TX, it was sort of sad to see it deteriorating and yet, at the same time, it was exhilarating as it brought back many wonderful memories.
North of Farmersville - 8"x 11" - Oil

Whenever I paint in plein air, I look for quiet places away from distractions. Farmersville is a small community north of where I live. I set up my easel by the side of the road, as I was captivated by the composition of the landscape and the subtle colors before me. Well into the painting, I heard voices approaching which broke the absolute stillness of the moment. Looking around, a father with his son rode up on their bicycles and stopped to see what I was doing. They had already ridden 25 miles but I still had the nerve to ask them if they would ride up and down the road for me a few times while I shot photos of them. Never know, I thought, when I might be able to use them in a painting.
Autumn's Beginning - 8"x 10" - Oil

It's in the country, away from the hustle and bustle, that I seem to flourish and to think most clearly. It's there in the fresh air, strolling through the fields that there is peace and an overwhelming sense of gratitude for nature's beauty. The changing color of the leaves, the veils of atmosphere, the faint sounds of mooing cattle in the distant pasture, and the sound of wind blowing through the grasses, all merge to imprint on my soul a lasting memory.

I ask you to consider adding one of these beautiful works to your already lovely homes.


To purchase, please contact Abend Gallery Fine Arts, LLC
303-355-0950 or 800-288-3726


                                             
Abend Gallery Fine Arts, LLC


If you would like to receive my monthly newsletter, please click HERE

Also, please visit me on Facebook




Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Billy Guffey said...

Good paintings you've got in the show this year, John. I've got some of my small knife paintings with red toned canvas in this year. These are a different style from my usual plein air pieces. Do you think it hurts an artist to paint in a different style for galleries in different parts of the country? I know these small ones usually sell well in the Denver area, but folks hardly touch them locally (Kentucky). What do you think?

December 17, 2012 at 5:14 AM  
Blogger john pototschnik said...

Bill, I guess you could possibly vary you style for different parts of the country, however, if you were to do that, I would suggest you use a different name for each style. Unless you do this, your work will appear very unsettling to serious prospective collectors. Bottom line though, the issue of style is to me of little concern, and not really the issue. We artists need to strive, above all, to really learn our craft and become excellent communicators through our paintings. Style is really one's signature, it's what distinguishes each of us from each other. A distinctive 'signature' is only achieved by doing a lot of paintings. Through mastery of design, drawing, values,color, etc, you will find an authentic, original style emerge that will be uniquely yours. Hope this helps. Best to you.

December 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM  
Blogger The Thomas Kinkade Company said...

I have been searching for a unique christmas painting for the upcoming holiday.

July 29, 2015 at 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home